Tuesday 28 October 2008

Accepting Everyone

I got asked today if it were really possible for a couple of neo-Nazis to kill 100 black students and then Barack Obama. I am often a focal point for the ills, and the questions about, my country. When you're the only American within the vicinity, you get asked the questions about America.

Fair enough, because when I ask 'do they really fry Mars bars?' I ask the nearest Glaswegian, or when I wondered why I could be arrested and imprisoned for shooting someone in self-defence, I asked an English person.

The answer to the question isn't as easy as it seems. An immediate answer would indicate that no, it is not possible for a couple of narrow-minded white supremacists to kill a bunch of black kids and then a presidential candidate. Our country, as hard as it has tried to not, can actually be tolerant. And they would be found out.

But thinking about it for the day, another strain of thought emerged. They, these 'this country is a Christian White country' people, may be small in number, and it is easy to dismiss them, but they can, because of lax gun ownership laws or the easy availability of bomb-making materials, cause a disproportionately large amount of damage. (The Oklahoma City bombing is an example).

So, yes, it is possible for a lot of black children and Barack Obama to be killed by a small narrow-minded group of people.

What a completely absurd conclusion to contemplate in this day and age.

No comments:

Followers